Dear ARGOplay users,
As of May 2022, ARGO Editor will only accept .glb 3D files
Why adopt .glb format ?
In order to improve the performance and compatibility of 3D models and animations on our native and WebAR platforms, ARGO editor adopts the new .glb standard for 3D files
- .glb is a lightweight compressed format that improves the performance of your 3D scenes in augmented reality
- .glb includes textures, so it is very easy to exchange and use
- It is a generic format on the web allowing an immediate compatibility with our ARGO webAR player
- It allows for more realistic light effects
- It is compatible with many platforms and applications (Instagram filters, Snapchat, Facebook etc...)
To help you :
A new tool has been added to your AR editor to help you convert your old 3D objects: the .glb converter
- Open an existing campaign in the ARGO editor
- Select your old 3D model (.fbx, .obj) and click on the "convert to .glb" button
- Your 3D object will then be automatically converted and replaced to .glb format in the editor.
NB : All your new 3D .fbx/.obj files will be converted on the fly to .glb format when imported into the ARGO editor.
As of February 3, 2022, a new version of the ARGOplay application will be released on the IOS / Android stores.
Your old .fbx/.obj 3D files are no longer readable in the new ARGOplay application: update its now with the .glb converter
The ARGO editor keeps both versions of your 3D models: Whether you import a .fbx or .obj model converted on the fly when importing into the editor, or you convert an existing model into .glb, both versions of the model are kept in the database so that they can be read on both versions of the application.
3D .glb files imported in ARGO editor are not compatible with the old version of ARGOplay application: smartphones that cannot upgrade to the new ARGOplay version (about 5% of IOS and 30% of Android*) will be able to keep using the old version of the application, which is destined to obsolescence. This one does not allow the reading of the 3D .glb format, nor of the scenes developed from the Unity plug-in. The old version of the application will display an error message to users confronted with these new models.
*Source: Mobile park of all ARGOplay users.
If you have any questions, please contact our support team at: firstname.lastname@example.org